Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Planting . . .FINALLY

Ages ago . . .meaning last summer. . .Jerod and I extended and reframed a flower bed running along the front of our house (check out what it looked like before we worked on it here). Unfortunately, by the time we finished building it we were well into the hottest, driest summer since the Dust Bowl so we decided to wait to do any planting until this year AND I must say I am super excited about it and think it really jazzes up the front of the house. . . here are some pictures! I can't wait to see what it looks like after it fills in a bit.

Untitled
This is our little house before the planting. The mums were there when we moved in and are lovely in the fall but may ultimately get transplanted elsewhere. I will have to see how they are looking as the rest of our plants grow some. It was hard to get up the nerve to remove the one thing growing.

Untitled
 A corner shot of the flower bed. Yes . . . I know we need to weed-eat.

Untitled
All my happy little plants ready for planting:)

Untitled
Everything planted and mulched! Doesn't it look great? . . .or maybe it's just me?

Untitled
Again, I think it is a major improvement to have some living things in front of our house.
Oh. . . you can also see the attachment for the soaker hoses Jerod put in. This will make watering and upkeep sooooooooooooo much easier.
Now I am going to give you a run down on what we planted starting with the perennials:

Untitled
1: Pampas Grass- We both like ornamental grasses and it should give us some much need height and look
good for the whole growing season.


Untitled
2: Russian Sage- This is supposed to fill out nicely plus it smells delicious AND it helps in attracting butterflies. . .which seemed to be true as I was surrounded by them while planting.

Untitled
3: Tickseed- It's pretty it's yellow what more do I need to say!?!?!?
Now for the Annuals:

Untitled
4: Celosia- Jerod saw these and loved them (and I have to agree they are pretty cute) so we thought we would fill in with them (at least this year) and add a pop of color to the bed.

Untitled
5: Sweet Potato Vine- This is very popular in Oklahoma. It loves the heat, covers big areas and Jerod and I both think it is good looking so. . . we bought the green and purple varieties and staggered the planting. . .my thinking is it will overlap as is fills out and create a cool two-tone ground cover.
Don't worry I will take pictures as the summer progresses.

So what is everyone else planting? Do you love bedding plants as flowers as much as I do? I hope everyone is having a happy late Spring.

4 comments:

  1. Love it! I can't wait to see how it fills in through the summer. I think that's the hardest part about planting stuff. I always want to buy twice as much so that I can manually fill things....

    Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything looks great! Dad and I will have to come to Oklahoma later in the summer so we can see your beautiful yard in person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete