Friday, May 18, 2012

It's Frittata Time

I love Sundays and one of the things I love about them most is making a big breakfast/brunch. I make something almost every week and it can range from sweet to savory. . .I like it all. This week, as I knew we were going to be working in the yard all day I figured I would make something that would stick to our ribs and use up some vegetables we had on hand.  I also thought I would try something I haven't made before . . .thus a Frittata (I know it's crazy I haven't made this before since I love eggs so much and we eat them regularly).
I looked up some recipes online but didn't use one in particular and kind of made it up as I went along. Although, I think I used this one the most.

Untitled
Veggies!

 Untitled
Drained Tomatoes.

 Untitled
Cook onions, garlic and pepper until tender. . .

Untitled
Add potatoes and tomatoes and cook for about 5 more minutes.

Untitled
Beat eggs with a little seasoning

Untitled

Add cheese, pour the eggs over the vegetables and pop it in the oven
(Sorry I somehow managed to miss getting a picture of the cheese and egg step)

Untitled
Cook until eggs are firm but not brown and . . .it's ready!
Untitled
Top with whatever you like and eat up.  

Super Sunday Frittata (or use what you have frittata)

1 cup onion (I used half of a large onion)
1 cup bell pepper (I think a hot pepper added in would be delicious too)
1 clove garlic minced
1 can potatoes (you could use fresh and just cook longer. . .we happen to have a couple can around so. . .)
14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes with liquid drained (fresh would be great too we just didn't have any)
6 to 8 eggs (our eggs were fairly small this week so I used 7)
1 cup cheese (I used cheddar but again use whatever you have)
salt (to taste)
pepper (to taste)
1 T. olive oil for pan

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees

Chop onions, pepper and potatoes into smallish pieces, mince garlic. Add olive oil to large (oven safe) skillet and heat on medium to medium high. When oil is hot add onions, garlic and peppers cook until tender (if using fresh potatoes you would need to add them now too) approximately 5 minutes. Add canned potatoes and tomatoes (drained), a pinch of salt and pepper and cook for about 5 more minutes make sure most liquid is gone.
During this time whisk eggs with an additional pinch of salt and pepper.

After veggies are tender, top with a layer of cheese pour the beaten eggs over top and put in the oven for approximately 10 minutes or until eggs are set (when you make a slit no liquid should run into the slit).
Remove from oven. Can be served hot, room temp or cool.
I topped with slice avocado and sour cream, Jerod added hot sauce.

Enjoy! Do you all have any weekend traditions? Any great way to use up the random bits and pieces of vegetables in your fridge or the random can of potatoes?

No comments:

Post a Comment