Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Dustbowl Arts Market: Recap

Well all . . . last weekend was finally the Dustbowl Arts Market at Norman Music Fest 5! After a month of doing nothing but working and sewing I got to set up my booth and sell some stuff. Some being the operative word. . .meaning there was more looking than buying but I got some great responses, gave out a million cards, and had some good chats with people. With this being my first market I learned a few things and would rethink (or restructure) this or that when doing one of these in the future but all in all I had a great time and am anxious to apply for more shows and give this making/vending thing another shot.
So here are some pictures of my booth: 


Untitled
This is a full shot of the booth. Again there are a few things I would change but I think it looks pretty cute
and a lot like me! Also it was VERY overcast when the day started so my pictures are a little drab due to the low grew light.

 Untitled
A few of my pillows.

Untitled
some bits and pieces. . . Oh. . .a couple (three) things 
1: I used, as it was recommended by friends and the Dustbowl organizers, Square. Which allows you to run credit cards on your iphone or android. It is great, a little finicky, but so cool! You can text or email receipts and include a photo of the product on the receipt. Super handy, Super cool. 
2: Last minute I decided I wanted some cheap little extras to jazz up my table so I whipped up some cute little flags with fabric scraps and skewers (see picture below). Crazy easy and so cheerful. 
3: I also wanted something wearable in the mix and thought some classic friendship pins (see picture below) would do the trick. These are a tiny bit annoying to make as you have to unwind the safety pin. . . but aren't they happy. I think I may have to wear frequently now.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled
Little and big buntings or pendant flags or hanging flags. I am going to have to think of what I call them going forward. It seems people either know them as buntings or are completely confused by the term.

Untitled
My birds. These were the big seller and got the most attention in generally.

Untitled
I would like to take a second to talk about my cards and my labels which (in my opinion) turned out GREAT! I got quite a few comments on the cards and a number of question on how I did them so here it is. . . I ordered custom cards with black text on plain brown kraft paper from Modern Typography's Etsy shop. To give a little plug Modern Typography was extremely helpful, got my cards to me quick as can be AND she has lots of other adorable stuff in her shop so check it out. Back to my cards. . .once I got the plain cards I ran them through my sewing machine using a decorative stitch and bright thread.

Untitled
I didn't do any additional work on my fabric labels but think they turned out great so. . .I am going to show them off. I ordered them from Inked Papers on Etsy who also has tons of great looking products (especially the labels). 

. . .And that is my Dustbowl experience.

 I do need to say that Jerod was a great help on Saturday (man can he load a card when he needs to [you would have been impressed Dad]) and is always my biggest supporter and bought me curry on Sunday and put up with me not being the most fun person this last month and is encouraging me to make and do more. . .so . . . thanks to him.
And thanks to everyone else who had to listen to me talk only about this.

12 comments:

  1. I am totally impressed with your first art/craft show experience. I love your attention to detail in everything you did and love your displays. I only wish I could have been there in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mom! Maybe if I keep doing these you can come for one:)

      Delete
  2. Everything's looks fantastic! I especially like your business cards with the stitching, and how the birds kinda look like they're sitting on power lines. I'm curious about what you'd do differently, because it sounds like everything went so well.

    Nikki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nikki-
      Things did go really well but I think I would like to flush out my displays(2nd suitcase, better table coverings, more signage, some height on the table)I feel like I spent the least amount of time on my displays of anything I did. I would also have a lower priced product too something in the $5 to $10 dollar range, aside from the pins and flags everything was $20 up. I have a couple of ideas but they aren't flushed out enough to talk about yet (but one involves cats). Since I have an inventory now I think prep for a fair would be much easier. I am also considering an Etsy shop(which I have tried before and have my hesitations about) and trying to get in some local shops because a lot of people ask where they could buy my stuff and at this point the only option is to email me. So that is where my head is right at this moment! I hope I get accepted to the fairs I am applying for because I am interested to compare them to Dustbowl since the crowd was mostly people for the Music Fest not for the Arts Market on its own.

      Delete
  3. You did It! Your things look great--color, fun, designed beautifully. I understand what you are saying about the booth...it is always one of the most difficult parts of being at a festival....Your colors are a real eye catcher.

    I am with the group that said 'bunting what?" A riff on prayer flags, perhaps? Happy flags? good mood on a string? I don't know..put Jarod on it.

    Anyway, I will be happy to hear about your show, products, festivals, etc., anytime. Love, cece

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cece:) I like your "bunting" name ideas funnily enough someone ask me what the birds "were for. . .what do you do with them?" (obviously this person wasn't too creative) and one of my answers was "you can hang them anywhere, where-ever you want a little extra happiness" the person still didn't get it.
      As I was telling Nikki (in the comment above) I have some display ideas but I would love to do some brainstorming with you next time I see you.
      Maybe you and Bunny Dearest can help me with a booth sometime!
      My Mom already has me doing (imaginary) markets in CO and NM. . .although that would be fun. . .

      Delete
  4. Wow. So great to get a peek of your booth. Very well done, very attractive. I am excited to see what you do next.
    Love the new format of the blog.
    Just so you know, I will be stalking you on pintrest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. are you actually on pintrest or do you have one of your fake/stalker/secret social networking accounts . . .where in you can see me but I can't see you? I want us to pintrest together!!!!!!!

      Delete
  5. Um, no. I don't have an account. I have been checking out out your pinterest pages via the link on your blog. I don't know much about how it works but i enjoy browsing the pics you have posted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you and your social networking from afar:) Pintrest is just a bookmarking site (delicious like) only you post pictures instead of the link. . .which is obviously cuter. I go in fits and starts with it. If I am looking for something specific I will pin a ton and then I won't do anything with it for awhile.

      Delete
  6. Love everything. I like Cece's ideas about the bunting renames and I really hope you do some of these imaginary CO/NM art fairs. Antyhing from Santa Fe to Cheyenne, WY would be doable for us:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bree! I have to get a few more OK shows under my belt but who knows. . .

      Delete