Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Fairs and Festivals

On Saturday, May 20th Jerod and I drove up to Tulsa to check out the Blue Dome Arts Festival (it's part of Mayfest) a friend of ours had a booth (more about that later) we wanted to check out her stuff and see what else there was to see. It is a really big festival, compared to Dustbowl! I did see a few of my fellow Dustbowl venders and lots of new and cool things . . . we went on a little sending spree . . . for us that is. So I am going to get right to the goodies and show you what we bought.

First, the lovely and talented Jeanine Copeland/Dirty Birdee (the friend I mentioned) had her first art festival booth and we picked up a couple of things from her:

Untitled 
 this adorable magnet is already making my fridge cheerier

Untitled 
I wore this pin last Tuesday and got tons of compliments!

Untitled 
This little coin purse is going to our niece, Emma who is turning 12 in June. I will probably fill it with a few extras before sending it to her.
One last thing. . .not to plug too hard but Dirty Birdee has a facebook page if you want to find out more info or look at products. Jeanine make adorable birdnest headbands that I am dying for someone to get. . .unfortunately my giant, bucket head has never worked well with a headband.

Second, we did some shopping for the yard. . .yes we are on a yard sprucing kick!

 We got these great birdhouses to hang on our fence.
Untitled 
 They are small but precious and will be perfect in a corner of the yard we are devoting to birds and bird paraphernalia.
The vendor does not have a website or online presence thus I can't pass his info along:(

We also picked up this sun-catcher/garden stake.
Untitled 
It is made from a gear and glass and we both think it is perfect for the front bed. I, of course, wish we had about 15 of them in all different sizes.
Maybe I will call this the start of a "grouping"
Also, this vendor does not have a website or online presence so again I can not pass along her info.

Third, I WON SOMETHING!!!!!!!! I never win anything so I was pretty stoked about this. While walking around I heard one of the vendors say he hid two ruby slippers in other booths at the festival and if you found one you could bring it back for a prize. Coincidentally, one of the ruby slippers was in our friends booth. I did NOT cheat, though. I saw it ask if was one and was told it was, other peoples overlooking was my gain. I won a 4x6 photo of my choice from Death of a Witch by Evan Taylor. I am going to pre-apologize because the following picture is horrible but the actually photo is cute. I was having reflection problems when I took it!
Untitled 
Thanks to Death of a Witch. I think I will add this to the bedroom collage wall.

Fourth. . .and this is the best part. . . . .
Okay, a little back story and a public apology. When Jerod and I shop we always check everything out, then discuss the things we like, think about them, and then decide if they are worth buying. At Bluedome we had already perused everything and were considering the bird houses and the garden stake when we came across the next item, I instantly fell in love but it was more than we had planned to spend, so we walked away. Later in the day Jerod excused himself to get us drinks and find a bathroom, he was gone for awhile but I didn't think about it as it was super crowed. So, later as we were deciding on our items I could not let the following item go and kept insisting we think about it and consider buying it instead of the other items, I was so obsessively talking about it that Jerod finally had to tell me that . . . He had already gone back and gotten it for me for my upcoming birthday!!!!!! I need to say that Jerod does not usually plan gifts ahead or do big surprises so I feel/felt especially awful for blowing this one BUT now I get to enjoy it longer.
With no further ado here is my new and most beloved Water Buffalo
Untitled 
Isn't he beautiful. 
The super nice man who makes these has no contact info besides a telephone number(which doesn't seem like something to give out online) so yet again I can't do anything to help promote his work.
I LOVE THIS MASK AND MY HUSBAND FOR BUYING IT FOR ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Untitled 
The cats love it too and were very happy once I got it on the wall. Can't you feel the joy in their eyes?

On Saturday, May 26th I volunteered for the PAMBE Ghana Market at the Paseo Arts Festival for a few hours in the afternoon and showed up a bit early so I could check out the vendors there.
I picked up a couple of small but cool items.

First up are these tiny and precious ceramic vases and bowls, none of them are more than two inches tall!! Untitled 
How cute will they be with a single flower in them? 
The artist is Cobos Leon, he is part of Paseo Pottery.

Secondly, is this small (5x7-ish) paper cutting to add to the collage wall in our bedroom. 
Untitled 
I thought is was very pretty and would fit in nicely with some other bits and pieces we already have.
The artist once again does not have an online presence so. . .no info to pass along

Lastly, I picked up two friendship bracelets to add to our nieces birthday gift. 
Untitled 
They are so bright and cute. Plus, they seemed perfect for a twelve year old. 
I purchased these from Pambe Ghana, the organization I volunteer for, so I know they are fair trade and benefit a good cause. You can check out info on Pambe Ghana here and here.

And such are my weekends of festivals!
Have any of you all been to any fun festivals or fairs yet this summer?


*It needs to be noted that I was not payed or perked for this post. My promotion or mentioning or these products or vendors is solely because I think they are cool.

6 comments:

  1. I think Crispin looks especially impressed with the water buffalo! So cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crisp really has her cold, dead-eyed state down to a science:)

      Delete
  2. I've spoiled Josh's surprises in similar fashions many times:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so bummed I didn't make it to Mayfest this year! That was so sweet of Jerod! Crispin looks especially thrilled about the buffalo ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's weird that you were in OKC while I was in Tulsa. It was super sweet of Jerod:) and I think Crisp probably dreams of it!

      Delete