Friday, February 4, 2011

Miss Molly (A Secret Knitting Project)

On December 22nd my niece Molly was born! A few weeks before she was born I visited my family in Colorado and took some pre-birth presents to Molly. I have knitted a blanket and hat for both of my sister's other children (Owen and Wyatt) and was not about to stop for her third.
My sister and her husband choose not to find out the sex of their babies so I always try to pick gender neutral colors for these projects, since I complete them before they are born. I also use 100% cotton since I am never sure what type of allergies or skin sensitivities a kiddo might have. On top of feeling good cotton is easy to wash and dry which is nice for kids stuff. For Molly's blanket and hat I used white, yellow and two tones of grey (I have since become obsessed with this color combo. . . you all may see it crop up in a latter project). In my attempt to stay gender neutral I made a detachable flower for the hat, which has come in handy! I used a traditional log cabin pattern for the blanket. You can find a good explanation of this pattern in this book.

Molly's Blanket Molly's Blanket Detail

I have used a variation on this hat pattern more times than I can count . . . You can find it in this book. And of course I had to include a picture of the adorable Miss Molly Katherine Hobgood all dressed up!

Molly's hat


3 comments:

  1. My sweetie!! Both boys are obsessed with their baby quilts right now, too. We call them "car quilts" and they cuddle with them everywhere we go in the car! Wyatt sometimes sleeps with his, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this blanket!! it's like knitting and quilting had a baby (blanket)!!!

    I also love grey and yellow.

    ReplyDelete